Language: English/Français/Indigenous Languages
Criteria: The Manitoba Indigenous Writer of the Year Award is awarded to an Indigenous writer who demonstrates both: 1. Excellence in writing in the past year 2. Engagement in work that supports and encourages Indigenous writing in Manitoba.
An amount of $1000 will be awarded to the 1st place winner and an award of $250 will be awarded to each of two 2nd place winners. Financial contributions are provided by the Centre for Creative Writing and Oral Cultures at the University of Manitoba, with proceeds from the sale of Manitowapow: Indigenous Writings from the Land of Water (edited by Niigaanwewidam James Sinclair and Warren Cariou).
Sponsor: The Centre for Creative Writing and Oral Culture at the University of Manitoba
Administrator: Manitoba Writers' Guild
- Manitoba Indigenous writers in English, French, and Indigenous languages and in all genres are eligible.
- Indigenous authors are those defined as First Nations, Métis, or Inuit.
- Eligible authors will have been resident in Manitoba for at least 3 months of the calendar year in which the writer is nominated.
- Nominations may be made from the community at large as well as by self-nomination.
- Writers must have published at least one (1) new piece of writing in a professional publication during the award year to be considered eligible. Such publications may include books, essays, journalistic articles, or any other publication considered professional and edited (excluding textbooks, dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.).
- Writers must have engaged in work that supports and encourages Indigenous writing in Manitoba. Such work may include workshops, editing projects, mentorship, planning or organizing writer events, or any other related activities.
Entries must be published between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020.
Winners will be decided by a jury of three: i. one member of the Manitoba Indigenous writing community, ii. one member of the Canadian Indigenous writing community, and iii. one member of the Canadian writing community.
Publications submitted for this award may also be submitted to all other pertinent categories. Applicants must send four (4) copies of the nominated publication, a CV, and supporting material demonstrating involvement in the Indigenous writing community to:
Copies will not be returned.
Manitoba Book Awards Submissions
Millennium Library, attn: Kathleen Williams
251 Donald Street, Winnipeg MB, R3C 3P5
Watch for submissions information in Fall 2020.