Criteria: Awarded annually to a Manitoba author whose first professionally published English language book is deemed the best written.
Prize: $2000 to the author
Sponsor: Donated by Manitoba children’s author Eileen McTavish Sykes through The Winnipeg Foundation
Administrator: Manitoba Writers' Guild
- Submissions in all genres (excluding textbooks, dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.), will be accepted.
- The author may have prior publication credits such as magazines, literary journals, newspapers or chapbooks.
- Submitted books must have been published between January 1 and December 31, 2019 and written in English.
- Please note that books written by more than one author are eligible as long as all authors meet the residency criteria.
- Eligible authors will have been a resident in Manitoba for one of the past two years, as well as a resident in Manitoba for three of the last five years.
- Prize may be awarded posthumously to an author who has met the publication and residency requirements but who has died within the two-year award period.
- Academic textbooks and reference books are not eligible.
Books submitted for this award may also be submitted to all other pertinent categories. Publishers must send four (4) copies of any eligible books to:
Copies will not be returned.
Manitoba Book Awards Sumissions
Millennium Library, attn: Kathleen Williams
251 Donald Street, Winnipeg MB, R3C 3P5
All entries must be made through the online form by November 18, 2019. Books published between January 1 and October 31 must be sent to the address above and postmarked by November 18, 2019. Books published between November 1 and December 31 must be postmarked by January 10, 2020, and will only be accepted if the online entry form was submitted by November 18, 2019.