Criteria: This award is divided into the categories of Older Category (to be presented in 2019) and Younger Category (to be presented in 2020). Entries for the Older category are being accepted as part of this year's award cycle. Entries for the younger category are not being accepted as part of this year's award cycle.
Prize: The winning author will receive a cash award of $2500. In the instance of picture books, the prize will be shared by author and illustrator.
Sponsor: McNally Robinson Booksellers
Older Category: The Older Category will be presented to the Mantioba writer whose English language book for young people is judged the best written.
- The Older Category is for books published for readers who are ages 9 to 18.
- Submissions in all genres (excluding textbooks, dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.), will be accepted. Entries must be published between January 1 and December 31, 2018.
- Entries must be written in English.
- Eligible authors will have been a resident in Manitoba for one of the past two years, as well as a resident in Manitoba for 3 of the last 5 years.
- Prize may be awarded posthumously to an author who has met the publication and residency requirements but who has died within the two-year award period.
- Please note that books written by more than one author are eligible as long as all authors meet the residency criteria. Anthologies are eligible as long as the editor(s) meet the residency criteria.
- Books submitted for this award may also be submitted to all other pertinent categories, but they are not eligible for the McNally Robinson Book of the Year Award.
The Younger Category is for books published for an intended audience newborn through age eight. This may include early chapter books, as well as picture books. Books published between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2019 - written in English by a Manitoba writer - will be entered in Fall 2019.
Books submitted for this award may also be submitted to all other pertinent categories. Publishers are encouraged to send four (4) copies of any eligible books to:
Manitoba Book Awards
Millennium Library, attn: Kathleen Williams
251 Donald Street, Winnipeg MB, R3C 3P5
All entries must be made through the online form by November 23, 2018. Books published between January 1 and October 31 must be sent to the address above and postmarked by November 23, 2018. Books published between November 1 and December 31 must be postmarked by January 11, 2019, and will only be accepted if the online entry form was submitted by November 23, 2018.