Criteria: This award is divided into the categories of Younger Category (to be presented in 2020) and Older Category (to be presented in 2021). Entries for the Younger Category are being accepted as part of this year's award cycle. Entries for the Older Category are not being accepted as part of this year's award cycle.
Prize: The winning author will receive a cash award of $2500. In the instance of picture books, the prize will be shared by author and illustrator.
Sponsor: McNally Robinson Booksellers
Administrator: Manitoba Writers' Guild
Younger Category: The Younger Category will be presented to the Mantioba writer whose English language book for young people is judged the best written.
- The Younger Category is for books published for an intended audience newborn through age eight. This may include early chapter books, as well as picture books.
- Submissions in all genres (excluding textbooks, dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.), will be accepted.
- Entries must be published between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2019.
- Entries must be written in English.
- Eligible authors will have been a resident in Manitoba for one of the past two years, as well as a resident in Manitoba for 3 of the last 5 years.
- Prize may be awarded posthumously to an author who has met the publication and residency requirements but who has died within the two-year award period.
- Please note that books written by more than one author are eligible as long as all authors meet the residency criteria. Anthologies are eligible as long as the editor(s) meet the residency criteria.
- Books submitted for this award may also be submitted to all other pertinent categories, but they are not eligible for the McNally Robinson Book of the Year Award.
The Older Category is for books published for readers who are ages 9 to 18. Books published between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020 - written in English by a Manitoba writer - will be entered in Fall 2020.
Books submitted for this award may also be submitted to all other pertinent categories, but they are not eligible for the McNally Robinson Book of the Year Award. Publishers must send four (4) copies of any eligible books to:
Copies will not be returned.
Manitoba Book Awards Submissions
Millennium Library, attn: Kathleen Williams
251 Donald Street, Winnipeg MB, R3C 3P5
All entries must be made through the online form by November 18, 2019. Books published between January 1 and October 31 must be sent to the address above and postmarked by November 18, 2019. Books published between November 1 and December 31 must be postmarked by January 10, 2020, and will only be accepted if the online entry form was submitted by November 18, 2019.