Criteria: The Michael Van Rooy Award for Genre Fiction is awarded to the book by a Manitoba writer that is judged the best book of genre fiction written in English and published within a two-year period - for the 2020 awards, books must have been published in 2018 or 2019.
Prize: $1500 to the author
Sponsors: Prairie Fire Press Inc., and the Winnipeg International Writers Festival
Administrator: Manitoba Writers' Guild
- To qualify, an entry must be a work of genre fiction (mystery, science fiction, horror, romance, western, fantasy) written in English.
- Submitted books must have been published between January 1, 2018, and December 31, 2019.
- Submitted books may be collected &/or selected works by a single author unless they contain previously published material that has been shortlisted for the Manitoba Book Awards in previous years.
- Submitted books may be collaborations or anthologies, as long as all authors meet the residency criteria.
- Books submitted for this award may also be submitted to all other pertinent categories.
- Reprints are not eligible.
- Author or authors must be residents in Manitoba for one of the past two years, and for at least three of the past five years.
- Prize may be awarded posthumously to an author who has met the publication and residency requirements but who has died within the two-year award period.
Books submitted for this award may also be submitted to all other pertinent categories. Publishers must send four (4) copies of any eligible books to:
Copies will not be returned.
Manitoba Book Awards Submissions
Millennium Library, attn: Kathleen Williams
251 Donald Street, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3P5
All entries must be made through the online form by November 18, 2019. Books published between January 1 and October 31 must be sent to the address above and postmarked by November 18, 2019. Books published between November 1 and December 31 must be postmarked by January 10, 2020, and will only be accepted if the online entry form was submitted by November 18, 2019.