Criteria: Given to the book judged the best English or French language book published by a Manitoba publisher and written for the trade, bookstore, educational, academic or scholarly market.
Books will be judged on innovation of content, quality of editing and writing, excellence in design and illustrations, and promotional activity and market acceptance. You must provide four (4) copies of promotional activities undertaken for each book entered, including copies of reviews, promotional materials, details of media coverage, author tours and book launches. Sales figures would be appreciated.
Prize: $1000 to the author
Sponsor: Friesens Corporation
- Publishers must meet eligibility guidelines as follows: Have their head office of business in Manitoba for at least one year; are Canadian citizens or landed immigrants; or are corporations fully owned or controlled by institutions or associations chartered in Canada which are at least 80% controlled by persons who are Canadian citizens or landed immigrants; are effectively controlled as to their managerial, editorial and financial decisions by persons who are resident in Manitoba and are Canadian citizens or landed immigrants, publish original Canadian-authored books as a primary, not an occasional peripheral, part of their business function; have in print at least two original Canadian titles published within the previous three years, no more than 25% of which are authored by principals, directors or employees of the applicant firm.
- Submitted books must have been published between January 1 and December 31, 2018. Revised editions must have at least 25% new material and significantly new design.
Books submitted for this award may also be submitted to all other pertinent categories. Publishers are encouraged to send four (4) copies of any eligible books and support materials including:
- copies of reviews
- promotional materials
- details of media coverage
- author tours and book launches
- Sales figures would be appreciated.
Send Entries to:
Manitoba Book Awards
Millennium Library, attn: Kathleen Williams
251 Donald Street, Winnipeg MB, R3C 3P5
All entries must be made through the online form by November 23, 2018. Books published between January 1 and October 31 must be sent to the address above and postmarked by November 23, 2018. Books published between November 1 and December 31 must be postmarked by January 11, 2019, and will only be accepted if the online entry form was submitted by November 23, 2018.