Entries are not being accepted as part of this year's award cycle.
Criteria: The 2019 Chris Johnson Award for Best Play by a Manitoba Playwright will be awarded for the best play published or produced in Manitoba by a Manitoba playwright, in 2017 or 2018.
Prize: The playwright will receive a cash prize of $1000.
Sponsor: The Manitoba Association of Playwrights (MAP) and Winnipeg theatres
- The play can be in English or French
- The play, if produced, must be a Canadian Actors Equity production, where the majority of cast members are Equity.
- The play, if published, must be a recognized publisher.
- The play may be of any length, any form, and intended for any age.
- The play, if in manuscript form, must be submitted by the playwright with a production history; or in the case of a published play, by the playwright or publisher.
- Eligible playwrights will have been a resident in Manitoba for one of the past two years, as well as a resident in Manitoba for 3 of the last 5 years.
Selection Process: MAP will select the jury, and oversee the process of selection. The jury selects the winning play. A reading committee may be formed, depending on number of submissions, to prepare a short list.
Questions about the criteria or submission process for this award should be directed to Brian Drader at the Manitoba Association of Playwrights.